No. 158 Squadron Royal Air Force was formed on 4 September 1918 at Upper Heyford in the county of Oxfordshire. It appears that the Squadron may not have received any aircraft and did not see any action before the First World War came to an end. The Squadron was disbanded in November 1918.
The rebirth of the Squadron occurred on 14 February 1942 at Driffield in the East Riding of Yorkshire when the Home Echelon of No. 104 Squadron, then based at Driffield, was renumbered to become No. 158 Squadron.
The Squadron Badge (above) was granted under the Authority of His Majesty King George VI in October 1944. The seven chain links and the motto ‘Strength in Unity’ signify the combined strength and co-operation of the aircrew and support staff within the Squadron.
Initially equipped with the Vickers Wellington Mk. II the Squadron later converted the Handley Page Halifax Mk. II and successively to the Mk.III and Mk. IV. After the cessation of hostilities, the Squadron flew the Short’s Stirling in the air trooping role.
The end of the war against Japan led to the downsizing of the Royal Air Force and No.158 Squadron was disbanded on 1 January 1946.
Numerous Honours and Awards were gained by members of the Squadron during its relatively short lifespan.
In 1989, at Bridlington, East Yorkshire, the Squadron itself was honoured when the Freedom of Entry into the town was granted to it the (then) East Yorkshire Borough Council.